What You Should Know About E …

If you haven’t ever read any facts about fires, how they start, and how to extinguish them, then you might be vulnerable. Fires are handled differently according to what started them to begin with. If you want to make sure that you are prepared to handle any fire that might jeopardize your home or your family, it is important to understand how an electrical fire differs from other types of fires. You also need to know to prevent them, as well as stop them, to prevent electrical fire damage.

What Is An Electrical Fire?

An electrical fire is a fire that starts from faulty or old electrical outlets or appliances. According to the US Fire Administration, 6.3% of fires stem from electrical outlets. And January and February are when most electrical fires start, due to heating appliances and overloaded electrical circuits. Statistics show that most electrical fires begin in bedrooms, but when fires begin in the family room, dining room, and unoccupied spaces, fatalities are most often the result.

What Are the Five Main Causes of an Electrical Fire?

There are five main causes of an electrical fire: faulty outlets or appliances, light fixtures with bulbs, extension cords, space heaters, and wiring issues. Since older homes are more prone to electrical fires, it is imperative to take special precautions to accommodate an aging electrical system by avoiding those things that increase the risk of house fires. Never leave a space heater unattended, don’t overload a circuit, and any wiring issues should be addressed immediately.

What To Do To Prevent Electrical Fire Damage

If an appliance causes an electrical fire, then immediately switch it off and unplug it from the outlet. Use a blanket or Type C extinguisher to smother the fire. Never throw water on top of an electrical fire because water conducts electricity. It can lead to an electrical shock that can be fatal. If the fire originates from a portable space heater, do not just switch off the power to the unit. Unplug the unit from the wall when possible and smother the fire in the same manner as with an appliance.

An electrical fire differs from other types of fires, and so do the ways to put them out. Don’t ever throw water on an electrical fire, or you risk being shocked. Try to unplug the source immediately from the outlet. But if the fire gets out of control, it is more important for you to seek safety. An electrical fire can spread very quickly, and you don’t want to jeopardize yourself or your family. If you are the victim of electrical fire damage in your home, contact Soil-Away today. We can help you get things cleaned up and your life back on track.


For 24/7 emergency fire damage cleanup services call the restoration experts at Soil-Away (603-641-6555).

Why You Can’t Get Rid …

Something in your house caught fire. Maybe it was a faulty wire, or maybe a candle ignited a curtain. Whatever caused it, now that the fire is long gone, you might still be struggling to get rid of the smoke smell. But why? You’ve already attempted to clean the damaged area. Shouldn’t the smoke have just dispersed by now? Let’s take a look at a few of the reasons why the smell of smoke can linger.

Soft Surfaces

The more soft surfaces you have in a smoky area, the more likely it is that you’ll have a lingering smell. Smoke can cling to fabrics, so surfaces such as couches and carpets may hold onto that smell for a long time. Have you ever gone to a bonfire and then smelled like smoke for the rest of the night? It’s because the smoke settled into the fabric of your clothes. For the bonfire smell, all you had to do was toss your clothes into the washing machine. Unfortunately, items like cushions and rugs will prove much more difficult to clean.

Walls and Ceilings

In addition to your fabrics, your walls and ceilings can also absorb a smoky smell. Since smoke rises, your ceilings become prime real estate for a lingering smell. Your walls also hold onto a lot of that smell because your paint absorbs it. Thoroughly cleaning and treating the painted surfaces and then applying a fresh coat of odor-blocking sealant can eliminate a lot of the problem.

What You Can Do About It

Aside from repainting the walls after a proper cleaning, there’s not a lot that a non-professional can do about a lingering smoke smell. The contaminants from smoke and soot usually require a team of experts for removal. Furthermore, the accompanying fire and water damage may have caused serious structural issues to your home. Your best option is to hire a professional cleaning and restoration service. This way, you won’t risk overlooking any damage that might cause long-term issues.

Smoke Smell

Are you looking for a professional service to help you get rid of that smoke smell? Soil-Away can help. The expert team at Soil-Away has years of experience dealing with fire damage, including the smoke that gets left behind. From the first assessment to the final walk-through, we provide complete cleanup and restoration for fire-damaged areas. Our smoke removal includes the Esporta process, which removes smoke damage from soft goods. Are you ready to get rid of that smoke smell forever? Contact us today. We’re here for you 24/7.



Areas We Serve

© 2024 All Rights Reserved | Sitemap

After Hour Emergency : (603) 657-4851