You consider yourself pretty handy at DIY stuff. You can fix any malfunction in your house or commercial property. Rickety stairway railing? No problem, you need just a few tools. Leaking faucet? You’re ready to get under that sink. But what happens when you run into mold? You know it’s bad, but do you know how to fix it? Here are some reasons mold removal is best left to the professionals.

Mold Grows Quickly

By the time you actually see the mold in your house it’s probably spread quite a bit. Given the right conditions, mold can grow very quickly. Mold thrives in damp areas without much air circulation. It can come after a flood, a long winter, or with humidity. Mold is very easily hidden, so it usually only shows up on your walls or in your tile once the spreading has started. A quick approach is best once you spot it, and professionals will be more efficient than anything you do yourself.

Mold is Toxic

Black mold can be toxic to us. Symptoms can vary from dizziness to skin irritation, shortness of breath, and even vision impairment. Without the proper equipment and precautions, prolonged exposure to mold can be very serious. See your doctor if you have any of these symptoms. Professional technicians have access to personal protective equipment which will decrease the exposure risk and prevent them from breathing in more than they need to.

Mold is Difficult to Remove

As noted, the mold we see is only part of the problem. You could have more hiding deep in your walls, behind kitchen cabinets, in the attic, and other places that are hard to tackle yourself. Not only will you have to remove the mold, but then you have to repair the building and remove any moisture so mold doesn’t return. Professionals can remove the mold and repair the damage caused by both the water and mold damage.

Mold Needs to Be Removed the Right Way

Do not try to vacuum the mold or wash it with bleach. The wrong type of vacuum could further spread the mold into the air and other areas of the house, while bleach will only clean the surface and not get to the roots of the mold behind it. Removing mold yourself will only take care of part of the problem. A professional has tools to determine how much mold is actually there and then properly remove it.

If you see mold in your home or have any other structural damage, call a professional. At Soil-Away, New Hampshire’s premier restoration service, our technicians are IICRC trained and ready to help. Please call 603-641-6555 to set up an appointment today.